If there’s one part of the packing process that has become second nature for me, it’s the carry-on tote. It’s a perfected formula, with a few tweaks based on the length of the flight or the time of year I am flying. No joke, I lay out every item on our table before they find a spot in my bag.
Having an organized bag makes flying a lot more enjoyable, and the time spent in the airport a little less stressful.
Here’s what you’ll find in my travel tote (my exact one):
- Boarding Pass
- Wallet. I just bought this travel wallet and I am excited to see how it turns out! (Under $20 too!)
- A cute, festive Passport Holder (this one or this one too!)
- Pen & Paper. I’m old school and find myself jotting down ideas while on long flights (or writing thank you cards).
- Eye Mask. I have no shame in wearing an eye mask on a plane, it’s a serious game changer.
- Neck Pillow. I’ve been using this one for years and love it! (and it’s under $15!!)
- My handy-dandy travel socks. On longer flights, I switch out my shoes for a thick pair of socks.
- Large scarf. The bigger, the cozier, the better. Loving this one and this one.
- Glasses. I find myself reading/watching TV a lot while flying, good way to rest the eyes.
- Flight Drink Kit. I love love love these little guys (another option).
Entertainment & Tech:
- iPad. I prefer using my iPad to watch in-flight entertainment.
- Noise cancelling headphones. Babies on flights, we’ve all been there.
- Magazine. I love splurging on a pile of magazines before a long haul flight.
- Mophi Case and/or portable charger. These are lifesavers! Especially when the outlet decides not to work.
- International Adapter. If there’s one thing I ALWAYS forget, it’s this.
- Go-Pro. I love taking shots from the airplane window!
- Dry Shampoo. Makes me feel somewhat human after a few hours on a plane.
- Face Wipes. Depending on the length of the flight, I’ll find myself washing my face multiple times.
- Wet Wipes. I’m an accident prone human being…
- Hairbrush & Makeup Bag. Quick touch up before landing. I can’t stop using this TSA Approved pouch.
- Toothbrush & Toothpaste.
- A mixture of snacks. You will always find me with a bag of Swedish fish and beef jerky.
- Reusable water bottle. I always ask the flight attendants to refill my water bottle instead of taking the multiple plastic cups!
- Packaged Salad. I’ve recently stopped eating the food they provide on the plane and bringing my own salad for my in-flight meal.
- Umbrella. I’ve been rained on one too many times, especially on the tarmac in Europe.
- Camera. I’m ready to snap photos the minute we land.
- Documents. I print off everything before a trip abroad: itineraries, hotel confirmations, flight plans, etc.
Along with the tote, I usually travel with a carry-on suitcase ONLY. You’ll find all my outfits, accessories, and large beauty items in here. The most important thing, especially if you have checked a bag: pack extra outfits in your carry-on.